“The world is always open, Waiting to be discovered.”Dejan Stojanovic, Circling: 1978-1987Copyrights of works released in 1923 have now expired on January 1 and have »
music modernization act
“Thinking of a series of dreams Where the time and the tempo fly And there's no exit in any direction 'Cept the one that you can't »
“Music brings a warm glow to my vision, thawing mind and muscle from their endless wintering.” Haruki Murakami, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World »
“Healthy curiosity is a great key in innovation.” Ifeanyi Enoch Onuoha The technology and music industries were both witness to a slew of deals and partnerships »
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” Margaret Mead A »
“The spoken word is ephemeral. The written word, eternal. A symphony, timeless.” A.E. Samaan Exploration’s co-founder and chief operating officer Rene Merideth will be »
“Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force but through persistence.” Ovid This week marked a momentous point of progress for the Music Modernization Act as »
“Where words leave off, music begins.” Heinrich Heine The Music Modernization Act was passed Tuesday September 18 by the US Senate based on a unanimous hotline »
“Music doesn't get in. Music is already in. Music simply uncovers what is there, makes you feel emotions that you didn't necessarily know you had inside »
“Some things are just like riding a bicycle; you jump on, pedal, and hope you don’t fall.” Henry Mosquera, Sleeper's Run Tencent Music Entertainment is »
“Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!” J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone This »
“Softly, deftly, music shall caress you. Hear it, feel it, Secretly possess you.” Charles Hart, The Phantom of the Opera According to an email exchange with »
"Music gives infinite strength." Lailah Gifty Akita, Pearls of Wisdom: Great Mind After much debate over the MMA amendments proposed by Blackstone-owned SESAC, a »
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston S. Churchill Songwriter organizations are concerned the »
"There is a time for silence. There is a time for waiting your turn. But if you know how you feel and you so clearly »
“If music be the food of love, play on, Give me excess of it; that surfeiting, The appetite may sicken, and so die.” William Shakespeare, Twelfth »
“There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.” Leonard Cohen, Selected Poems, 1956-1968 This week, Exploration's co-founder and CEO Aaron Davis recently »
- Exploration Weekly - YT Music May Become Android Default Audio Player / Spotify India to Launch by January 31 / Free Apple Music with Verizon Wireless
- The Team
- Types of Music Releases
- Exploration Weekly - Streaming Direct-to-Artist Tools Impact Labels / AMLC Seeking Tech Partners / Apple’s Profit Warning Points to Music and Video
- Copyright Registration
- Music Industry Contracts
- Exploration Weekly - 1923 Works Enter Public Domain / US Song Consumption Hits $5.8 Billion / Streaming Music in 2018
- What is On-Demand Streaming?
- What is Non-Interactive Streaming?
- A Glossary of Music Industry Terms
- Exploration Weekly - iHeartMedia to Separate from Clear Channel Outdoor Holdings / US Copyright Office to Select MLC / Can You Copyright a Dance Move?
- Exploration Weekly - Wixen-Spotify Lawsuit Ends / Global Recorded Music Revenues to Hit $18.9 Billion / Register of Copyrights Bill Under Debate
- What is Music Distribution?
- Major vs. Indie
- How Does the Music Modernization Act Work?
- What are Print Rights?
- What are Lyric Rights?
- What is a Digital Download?
- What are Neighboring Rights?
- What Is Work for Hire?
- Exploration Weekly - Tencent Music Launches US IPO / “Blurred Lines” Case Ends in $5 Million Judgement / Apple Acquires Platoon
- Exploration Weekly - JioSaavn Officially Merges in India / Liberty Media May Buy iHeartMedia / Apple Music for Business in the Works
- Exploration Weekly - Spotify India to Launch Within 6 Months / YouTube Offers Student Discounts / Copyright Royalty Board Makes Changes to the MMA
- Exploration Weekly - YouTube Pop-Ups Released / UMG to Distribute Spotify Equity to Artists, Non-Recoupable / SiriusXM-Pandora Deal Approved in Europe
- Exploration Weekly - First MLC Contender Emerges / Vivendi to Select Banks for UMG Sale / Sony Finalizes EMI Takeover
- Exploration Weekly - Spotify Launches Music Publishing Analytics Tool / Apple Music Reveals Preferred Distributors / YT Content ID Pays Out $3 Billion
- Exploration Weekly - European Commission Approves EMI Music Publishing Acquisition / SoundCloud's Contract Criticized / Spotify Smart Speaker Giveaway
- Exploration Weekly - Spotify Officially Launches Playlist Tool / SiriusXM Reaches Record Q3 Revenue / MMA Calls On Board of Directors
- Exploration Weekly - Apple “Acqui-Hires” Asaii / Spotify Buys Minority Stake in DistroKid / Concert Tickets Now Sold Via YouTube-Eventbrite Deal
- Exploration Weekly - President Signs MMA Into Law / SoundCloud Opens Direct Monetization Program / Genius Adds Lyrics Feature to Apple Music
- Exploration Weekly - Sony, Warner Invest In Tencent IPO / SoundCloud Teams With Pandora / Spotify Denied Lawsuit Dismissal
- What is a Master-Use License?
- Exploration Weekly - MMA Approved by the House of Representatives / SiriusXM Buys Pandora / Apple Music Converts 2.5 Times Faster Than Spotify
- Exploration Weekly - MMA Approved by the US Senate / Spotify Lets Artists Directly Upload Music to Service / Apple Music Now Searchable by Lyrics
- Exploration Weekly - EU Approves New Copyright Reforms / MMA Anticipates Changes in Congress / Apple Music Streaming Market Share Up 3%
- What is Synchronization Licensing?
- What is Performance Licensing?
- Exploration Weekly - YT Calls Out EU Copyright Directive / UK Music Exports Total £408.4M in 2017 / Spotify Inks Deals in Indonesia and Thailand
- Exploration Weekly - Tencent Music To IPO This Fall / MMA Reaches Handshake Deal / YT India To Hit 500M MAU In Two Years
- Exploration Weekly - Spotify Releases Podcasts / YT Merges Artist Channel Subscriptions / Court Rules No New Copyright for Remastered Recordings
- Exploration Weekly - Citi Report Posts Inaccuracies / IMPALA Worried Over Sony’s EMI Deals / Spotify Launches Music Credits on iOS
- Exploration Weekly - MMA Statutory Mechanical Licenses / Warner Sells Entire Spotify Stake for $504M / Spotify Partners with Samsung
- What Is a Mechanical License?
- Exploration Weekly - SESAC Reaches Compromise Over MMA / Sony Acquires All Of EMI / Vivendi To Sell 50% Of UMG
- Exploration Weekly - MMA Endangered by Blackstone Intervention / Spotify Announces 83M Subscribers / Global Music Copyright Worth $26B in 2016
- What Is SoundExchange?
- Exploration Weekly - Apple Music Touts US Subscribers / Spotify Reveals Pitching Feature / UnitedMasters Launches Data-Driven Distribution Service
- What Is Music Reports?
- What Is The Harry Fox Agency?
- Exploration Weekly - DOJ Terminates Outdated Consent Decrees / Apple Expected to Surpass Spotify / Streams Up 41.6% in First Half of 2018
- Exploration Weekly - Senate Judiciary Committee Passes MMA / EU Copyright Directive Rejected Thursday / Tencent Filing IPO This Week
- What is a Record Label?
- What is a Music Publisher?
- Exploration Weekly - Apple Mulls Subscription Bundle / YT Offers New Monetization for Creators / A2IM CEO Richard Burgess Calls Out DSPs
- What is a Recording Artist?
- Exploration Weekly - YT Music Premium Launches in 17 Countries / A Summary of the MMA / Major Labels Unhappy With Spotify Going Direct
- What is a Songwriter?
- Exploration Weekly - Investors Respond to Spotify’s Direct Licensing Deals / NMPA Discusses DOJ Consent Decrees / Net Neutrality Officially Ends
- What is a Sound Recording?
- Exploration Weekly - Facebook Makes Music Moves / Spotify Offers Advances for Direct Deals / Tuma Basa Joins YT as Director of Urban Music
- Exploration Weekly - Apple Builds Music Publishing Dept / BMI vs. RMLC / New Fees at Copyright Office
- What is a Composition?
- Exploration Weekly - MMA Challenged by New Alternative Bill / Sony Buys 90% of EMI / YouTube Music Officially Launches
- Exploration Weekly - YouTube Announces Premium Service and Music Credits / Smokey Robinson Urges for Copyright Reform / Merlin Sells 100% of Its Spotify Shares
- Exploration Weekly - WMG Sells 75% of Spotify Shares / Spotify’s Q1 2018 Breakdown / YouTube Launches New Music Charts
- Exploration Weekly - Sony Sells 50% of Spotify Shares / YouTube to Launch Copyright Match / Music Modernization Act Passes House of Representatives
- Annual Report - 2017
- Exploration Weekly - Amazon Confirms 100+ Million Prime Subscribers / Indies Get $5.3b of Global Recorded Music / YouTube Updates 2018 Priorities
- Exploration Weekly - Music Modernization Act Approved / Launch of EMMA / FCC Chairman to Modernize Media Rules
- Exploration Weekly - Spotify Valued at $27 Billion on NYSE / YouTube Launches New Skippable Ads / Sony Music Sells 17.2% of Its Shares in Spotify
- Exploration Weekly - AMP Act Introduced in Senate / Apple Music Launches Music Videos / Wixen and Kobalt Want to Pay Songwriters Fairly
- Exploration Weekly - US Recorded-Music Revenues Up 16.5% / Basca Campaigns for Spotify and Facebook Money / Cecile Frot-Coutaz Moves to YouTube
- Exploration Weekly - EMI Music Publishing Valued at $4 Billion / Spotify to List Shares on April 3rd / Lyor Cohen Speaks at SXSW Keynote
- Exploration Weekly - Indie Artists Want Share of Spotify’s Equity / Google Partners with TiVo Music Metadata / iHeartMedia Files Last-Minute Extensi
- Exploration Weekly - Spotify Officially Goes Public / Vero: New Social Media Hype? / Gaana Receives $115 Million Investment From Tencent
- Exploration Weekly - Spotify’s First Physical Product / Facebook Enters Smart Speaker Market / YouTube’s Lyor Cohen Emphasizes Community
- Exploration Weekly - More Songwriters on the Board of Directors / Growth of Voice Recognition and AI / SoundExchange Argues Against CRB Decision
- Exploration Weekly - Spotify Credits Songwriters, Apple Music's Surprising Growth, Senate Introduces the CLASSICS Act
- Exploration Weekly - CRB Increases Songwriter's Rates by 44% / Downloads Up 328% at Grammys / EU Music Orgs Push for Safe Harbor Reform
- Exploration Weekly - YouTube Launches ISNI System and Official Artist Channels / Copyright Law Reinterpreted / Streaming in Spain Up 25%
- Exploration Weekly - Changes to YouTube’s Partner Program / Petition Against FCC / Pandora Has Biggest Value Gap
- Exploration Weekly - Jimmy Iovine’s False Apple Leave / Major Music Legislation / YouTube Red Launch
- Exploration Weekly - U.S. Music Consumption Up 12.5% / Spotify Sued And Files IPO / Georgia’s New Tax Bill
- Exploration Weekly - Facebook Invests in Music / Google Amazon Feud / USB Music Albums
- Exploration Weekly - YouTube Accrued Royalties Claiming Window / Mechanical Rate Reinvented / Fractionalized Licensing
- Exploration Weekly - BMI Consent Decree / Disney Sued for Let It Go / Spotify Infringement Estimates
- Exploration Weekly - UnitedMasters / YouTube Ticketmaster Partnership / CISAC reports 52% Rise In Digital
- GOP Tax Bill Kills Capital Gain For Composers and Music Publishers
- Pandora Playlists / FCC Proposals / pre-1972 Copyright
- Copyright Reform / Indie Labels = 38% / Spotify RISE
- What is an ISWC?
- What is an ISRC?
- Organizations and advocacy groups of the music business
- The YouTube Guide for the Music Business
- Powerful Women / IFPI Plan / Atlanta Music Hub
- Annual Report + 2017 Global Music Report [PDF] + NMPA/YouTube Settlement + Ableton + Catalog Metadata Template [.csv]
- Music Business Organizations and Advocacy Groups + The CCC + Data Update
- Spotify Data For Publishers
- Music Business Organizations and Advocacy Groups + The CCC + Data Update
- ISRC Search – YouTube for Artists – YouTube Basics Webinar (Free)
- Annual Report 2015
- Exploration Data
- What Metadata is Critical + Downloadable Template + Ad Rate Increase + New Search Software + PMA Conference + Adventure
- ASCAP Doesn’t Know About Your Music On YouTube Unless You Tell Them [VIDEO] – Choice Words Regarding the Berklee Music Report – The Golden Recor
- Berklee College of Music: Fair Music Report – How Much Streaming Services Pay: Visualized
- Streaming Platforms – How SoundCloud Monetization Works – SESAC Bought HFA – FaceBook Video
- ASCAP Article Response – Managing Copyright on YouTube [VIDEO]
- Facebook Video – Why Did The GRD Fail – What Is Code
- Exploration Year in Review – 2014
- 2014 YouTube Statistics
- Happy Holidays
- Streaming – Some Could Be Viewing It All Wrong
- Investing in Music Global Report + YouTube Music Key Tutorial + Holiday Parties
- Happy Thanksgiving + Office Closure
- YouTube Music Key – LAUNCHED
- YouTube Streaming Service – hacker / am – Hunnypot – AIMP Member Showcase
- Partner Development Program + Request For Feedback
- $5 Million Obtained to Fund Digital Royalty Purchases and Advances
- How Much Should Writers Get Paid? with Richard Stumpf of Atlas Music Publishing [Video Interview]
- What Is The Consent Decree with Danielle Aguirre at the NMPA [INTERVIEW]
- SoundCloud Monetization Is Starting + Monitor Latino Convention + YouTube Pro Tips
- Multilingual Support + YouTube Certified Partner
- FAQ – Free Video Production – LAWIM Panel
- Got Music Videos? Phoenix [new software] – Showcase benefitting Covenant House
- YouTube Certified – Billboard + NARIP Articles – Let’s Party
- Latin Billboard Awards
- Heartbleed [URGENT – IMPORTANT]
- SoundCloud Data
- Digital Media Brief, Miami, and a Love Song
- Who we are, Grammys, Conferences & Confidentiality
- How big is YouTube? [INFOGRAPHIC]
- Merry Holidays and a Joyous New Year!!!
- Happy Thanksgiving!!