A copyright audit is the first step towards fully collecting the royalties you are owed from the use of your musical and audiovisual works online.
Are you collecting all your royalties?
The purpose of an audit is to give songwriters, publishers, artists, labels, and film & TV companies a detailed picture of how their works are represented and subsequently, who is collecting revenue as a result of their exploitation.
We take one to two business days to complete the audit, and it is free.
Request a free audit!
How does the audit work?
If your musical or audiovisual copyrights are being played on any of these digital platforms, you should be getting paid royalties:
- Apple Music
- iHeart Media
- Amazon Music
- and more...
However, if these platforms do not have accurate and complete information in their systems, they may not be fully paying out these royalties to you.
We check all available networks to see what copyright information is present and what may be missing, then compile this into a spreadsheet for your convenience.
The databases we check include:
- YouTube, where Exploration can claim works on behalf of rights holders.
- The Harry Fox Agency and Music Reports, which collect mechanical royalties on behalf of songwriters and music publishers from streaming platforms.
- The U.S.-based performing rights organizations, which collect performance royalties on behalf of songwriters and publishers.
Click to download a sample audit template.
What are the steps?
- We'll speak with you on the phone, in person, or via email about the copyright titles that you control.
- A list of titles to be audited will be compiled.
- We'll audit all our available networks to determine how those titles are represented across the Internet.
- We'll prepare a report with our findings including actionable next steps.
What information is needed for a copyright audit?
- 3-5 song titles to be audited
- Artist name(s)
- Writer name(s)
- Ownership percentage splits of the works in question (for example, I own 33.33% of a song and my two co-writers own the rest)
- The rights you control (master/publishing, sync/mechanical/performance)
If you’re unsure about any of this, don’t worry! We can help you fill in the blanks.
What are the benefits of an audit?
An Exploration copyright audit helps rights holders find areas where they may be missing royalty income. Whether you end up utilizing Exploration’s administrative services or not, an audit can be an extremely helpful organizational tool for you.
You deserve to have accurate and complete information on how your works are represented online—regardless of who is collecting on your behalf.
Have questions? We’re here to help. Give us a call at +1 (310) 739-5482 or send us an email at email@example.com today. A team member will reach you within 24 hours.
An audit may be the first step toward organizing your catalog metadata and fully collecting the royalties you are owed from the use of your copyrighted works online. Here are a few things Exploration can help you with after your audit:
- Understanding the details of the spreadsheet with a follow-up conversation
- Contacting your Label/Publisher/PRO to sort out any confusion
- Providing a list of competent service providers who can help you
- Signing you up for Exploration services which may include royalty administration and YouTube CMS management for your publishing works, sound recordings, and/or film and TV assets
Who Is Exploration?
We currently represent and consult globally with music publishers, record labels, domestic and foreign performing rights organizations, songwriters, composers, recording artists, and film/TV clients for digital rights.
Proud Members of the Association of Independent Music Publishers, the National Association of Record Industry Professionals, the California Copyright Conference, and more. Recognized by the Grammy Academy.
- Our administrative services include YouTube channel management, catalog auditing, metadata compiling, royalties & accounting, ownership conflict resolution, and digital strategy consulting.
- Our music publisher and songwriter services include composition-specific YouTube CMS management, on-demand streaming mechanical royalty administration, performance royalty administration, and NMPA settlements.
- Our record label and recording artist services include sound recording-specific YouTube CMS management, YouTube channel development, and digital distribution.
- Our film & TV company services include film/TV-specific YouTube CMS management and YouTube channel development.